11/09/2009

What Is Story?

I thought it would be appropriate to launch this blog by asking the question, "what is story?" There are probably as many answers as there are people and that’s what I find so fascinating. Even as I sit here pondering my own question, I cannot seem to come up with a clear answer. The best way I can describe story is a series of instances that follow a common thread in which the central characters involved experience some sort of change.



We all can think back to the first stories in our memory--Goldilocks and the Three Bears comes to my mind. What about these early stories stick in our minds after all these years? What about them is so impressive?


The strength of such pure stories, be it fairy tales, urban legends, creation myths or even jokes, is their simplicity. They progress in a natural way from plot point to plot point without much need for detail. Goldilocks comes to the Bears' house, tries each bowl of porridge, tries each chair, tries each bed and then falls asleep where the returning Bear family finds her later and she runs off in fear. A to B to C to D to E to F to G.


At the essence of all great stories is the firm foundation of a naturally progressing plot--however artfully designed to test the mind and imagination of the reader or viewer. The best stories are the artful ones, the ones that develop like mysteries, unfolding layers of truth in such a way that leads us closer to the heart of the matter so that it can be resolved.

2 comments:

  1. story is the oldest form of entertainment, and every person can tell one, listen to one, be a part of one, be touched by one; its such a common thread among human beings. I think thats what makes it so humbling, is that there are millions of stories and story tellers, and each one has a different impact on us throughout our lives; whether its been told to us, read, or witnessed, story will be with us for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its definitely a humbling profession to attempt. Just walk into any book store and you can be overwhelmed by the volume of authors and stories out there. On the one hand I sometimes think its pointless, how will I be recognized amungst it all. And on the other hand I think, hey, if all these people can do it successfully then so can I!

    ReplyDelete